ONE WEEK BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- If you are planning on receiving sedation medication during the procedure, you will need to arrange for a licensed adult driver to take you home. Public transportation is only allowed with an adult escort. You are allowed to drive yourself if you do not receive sedation medication.
- Purchase two (2) Fleet saline enemas. The enemas are over the counter and can be purchased at any pharmacy.
- Blood-thinning medications may need to be discontinued. Take your last dose of on
May continue to take regular medications, unless instructed by provider or nursing staff
- Prescription Iron pills
- Seeds, nuts, tomatoes, berries, corn, popcorn, and breads with seeds or nut
- Stop Taking
TWO DAYS BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Obtain Covid Test
ONE DAY BEFORE FLEXIBLE SIGMOIDOSCOPY
Patients that are Diabetic
- Evening Dose Only: Take ½ the dose of your diabetic medication(s) the day before your procedure.
- No dose the day of the procedure.
DAY OF FLEXIBLE SIGMOIDOSCOPY
- Start clear liquid diet. No solid foods, dairy or non-dairy products, juices with pulp, red or purple colors, and alcohol.
- Clear Liquids include: Water, Apple Juice, Gatorade, Broth, Jell-O, Popsicles, soda, etc.
- If you are planning on receiving sedation medication, stop clear liquids three (3) hours prior to your procedure.
- Administer the first Fleets enema Two (2) hours prior to your arrival time to the facility
- Administer the second Fleets enema One (1) hour prior to your arrival time to the facility
How to use enemas:
- Lie on left side with knee bent and arms resting or kneel, then lower head and chest forward until face resting on surface.
- With steady pressure, gently insert enema tip into rectum with a slight side-to-side movement, with tip pointing toward navel. Insertion may be easier if person receiving enema bears down, as if having a bowel movement. This helps relax the muscles around the anus.
- Do not force the enema tip into rectum as this can cause injury.
- Squeeze bottle until nearly all liquid is gone. It is not necessary to empty the bottle completely, as it contains more liquid than needed.
- Remove from rectum and maintain position until urge to evacuate is strong (usually 2 to 5 minutes).